Fridays are usually nice without any obvious reason – but this last one was especially cool, as some really fantastic news was announced:
On March 9th 2022, I’ll be delivering a full-day workshop at the greatest data platform conference in the world – SQL Bits!
The full agenda can be found here.
In the previous years, I was attending SQL Bits and learned a ton from the people that I truly admire, such as Itzik Ben-Gan, Brent Ozar, Alberto Ferrari, Marco Russo, Chris Webb (apologies to all the others I didn’t mention)…Now, just being in the company of these folks makes me feel truly honored and humbled, and is definitely the highlight of my speaking career so far.
But, this also motivates me to come up with the best possible content for the attendees of my workshop in March. So, here is a brief overview of the topics we’re going to cover in ~8 hours (yes, there will be some breaks, no need to bring sandwiches in the room):
- Why is data modeling so important?
- Why Star-schema (and not a flat table)?
- Costs of not having a proper data model
- Role-playing dimensions, Bi-directional filters and other concepts to make your life “easier”
Data Model Size
- How VertiPaq stores the data?
- Core components of the VertiPaq engine
- Cardinality levels and their impact on the data model size
- How to destroy your data model with Auto Date/Time?
- What are aggregations in Power BI?
- User-defined vs Automatic aggregations
Data Refresh Process
- Where and how to transform your data?
- Query folding concept
- How (not) to break a query folding?
- Visualizing data refresh process
- High-level overview of the most common mistakes when writing DAX queries
Visuals Rendering Time
- What affects the report rendering time?
- Best practices to speed up the report rendering time
Storage Mode Decision
- Import vs DirectQuery
- When (not) to use DirectQuery?
- Optimizing DirectQuery scenarios
Each module will be packed with demos and hands-on exercises to better illustrate a specific concept/problem/solution!
Don’t know about you, but I’m already excited and started to count down till March 9th!
See you in London!
Last Updated on December 5, 2021 by Nikola